Tuisa - Organic, Hand-Sort Select Soap Nuts - 400g
Soap Nuts (Soap Berries) are a gift from Mother Nature; a sustainable natural resource that grows wild (from sapindus trees). The dried fruit produce a "soap" (saponin) - the ultimate 100% natural laundry detergent and cleanser! It leaves your laundry clean and fresh. So gentle, they are superb for delicate fabrics. They are very effective in removing soil and odors while leaving fabrics soft and absorbent. If you have allergies, are sensitive to commercial chemicals and fragrances, have MCS, or just want to do your part for a healthier green earth, soap nuts are the answer.
- Hypoallergenic, fragrance free, eco-friendly and biodegradable
- Low sudsing - perfect for high efficiency (he) washers
- Free of synthetic chemicals, fillers, toxins, dyes and perfumes
- Ideal for cloth cotton diaper laundering
- Imported only from Fair Trade, Co-op suppliers
Use as raw nuts, powder or in liquid form
Raw Soap Nuts (traditional method):
- Put 5 to 6 soap nuts or equivalent amount of pieces, (about 1/2 ounce), in muslin drawstring bag. Tie bag securely.
- Toss directly into washing machine before adding clothes
- Remove from washer at end of wash. Allow bag to dry unless doing another load. You may remove them prior to the rinse cycle to extend usefulness. They are not harmed by drying in the dryer.
- Re-use 4 to 7 times
- Note for cold water: Soak soap nuts in a cup of hot water for a few minutes to expedite saturation. Pour water & bag in the laundry. Or simply allow to soak longer during pre-wash. Contrary to what some think, raw soap nuts work fine in cold water. Being very well saturated is the key. See "Tips" about conditioning water and more.
Soap Nuts are no longer effective when they stop producing soap, turn soft, mushy, grayish in color, and become very thin.
- Put 2 or 3 teaspoons of fine grind in wash water. Wash as usual.
Liquid: (Homemade soap nut liquid or Extreme 18X)
- Dependent upon potency use as needed. Use 18X as directed.
- Wash as usual. It's good to use a little in the prewash cycle.
All forms are excellent for hand washing fine fabrics.
Laundry Usage Tips
- Don't overstuff loads! Good water flow, circulation & agitation are musts for achieving best results.
- Pre-soaking & use of pre-soak cycles can improve results dramatically
- Soap nuts aren't for tough stain removal. Pre-treat as usual if needed.
- Don't expect lots of suds. Suds will dissipate quickly. There are no commercial chemical foaming agents added that create suds.
- Heat simply accelerates saponin release. It is not required.
- Allow soap nuts to dry between wash days. Best if re-wet before use.
- Hard water may require more soap nuts. Also try softening salts, washing soda and/or vinegar to help soften water.
- No need for softeners or dryer sheets. Laundry will be very soft.
- Soap nuts have a light vinegarish smell, but your laundry will smell clean & fresh with no scent at all.
- If you prefer a scent, add an essential oil of choice on an absorbent cloth & use it like a dryer sheet.
- For bright whites & colors, try an oxygen bleach. Occasionally a standard bleach may be desired for super whites.
- Great for cotton cloth diapers. Fibers will remain free of residue, therefore increasing absorbency. Contact manufacturer or customer service about diapers and specialty fabrics & materials.
- Start fresh. Run a couple of loads with rags to purge washer of old residue.